Dogs VS. Chocolate

Have you ever wondered why dogs shouldn’t eat chocolate? Aren’t you curious about why dogs are poisoned when they eat such a delicious treat? Well, I was very curious and after some research I finally found the answer (eureka!).

Chocolate contains an alkaloid called “theobromine”.  Theobromine is a stimulant for  the central nervous system, the cardiovascular system and it slightly increases blood pressure.

Dogs and other animals (like parrots, hamsters, horses and cats) can’t metabolize theobromine as quickly as humans can and this leads to several problems… Some noticeable symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs are : vomiting, diarrhea, muscle twitching, excessive panting, dehydration; digestive problems, seizures and a rapid heart rate.  Some of these symptoms (i.e: rapid heart rate) can  be fatal to the dog.

And that is why dogs should not eat chocolate!

By: Purple Pansy

***I did my research on this site and was able to publish this post with the help of some facts from this site :http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2011/02/why-chocolate-is-bad-for-dogs/***
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s