Recently at school, my class has been talking about self-harm and ways to help you or others to get help for it. We all had to do a research project on an organization that helps self-harmers. So, after a couple of days I found an organization : The Butterfly Project. The Butterfly Project is a type of help system for self-harmers. When they are ready to stop, this system helps them and gives support/motivation to stop. To complete the project/system there are 7 rules that you must follow:
1. When you feel like you want to cut, take a marker, pen, or sharpies and draw a butterfly on the place that you want to cut yourself.
2. Name the butterfly after a loved one, an inspirational person or someone that really wants you to get better.
3. You must let the butterfly fade naturally. NO scrubbing it off.
4. If you cut before the butterfly is gone, you’ve killed it. If you dont cut, it lives.
5. If you have more than one butterfly, cutting kills all of them.
6. Another person may draw them on you. These butterflies are extra special. Take good care of them.
7. Even if you don’t cut, feel free to draw a butterfly anyways, to show your support. If you do this, name it after someone you know that cuts or is suffering right now, and tell them. It could help.
After, I told my teacher and she asked me to present my research. At the end of my presentation, my whole class drew butterflies on there arms, foreheads … Even if none of us self-harm ourselves, we all thought this would be a good idea to show support. So we took pictures of our butterflies and posted them on the internet!
Here is my butterfly:
By: Purple Pansy